I would like to thank all the people who helped us test the Release Candidate and who gave us some feedback. This release comes with all the innovations featured in Linux Mint 6 Felicia and for the very first time with the 64 bit versions of the Adobe Flash and Sun Java plugins!
Introduction to the x64 edition:
The purpose of the x64 edition is to offer the same desktop features as the Main edition but in a 64 bit environment. It aims to be as similar to the Main edition as possible.
More packages are available for i386 than they are for amd64 and the Main edition is also slightly more stable than its 64 bit equivalent. The Main edition only recognizes a maximum of 4GB RAM though and even on computers with less than 4GB RAM the performance gain provided by x64 over the Main edition can significantly enhance the user’s experience.
An X86_64 64 bit processor (Intel Core 2, AMD X2 64, etc…) .
A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.
Download Linux Mint 6 x64:
- ISO: http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/6/LinuxMint-6-x64.iso
- Size: 682MB LiveCD
- MD5Sum: 776a1f32847fc0dfe15b3b4a180086e7
- Torrent download: http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html
- HTTP download: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=33
- http://cesium.di.uminho.pt/pub/linuxmint/stable/6/ (Portugal)
- http://mirrors.cytanet.com.cy/linux/mint/stable/6/ (Cyprus)
- http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net/linuxmint.com/stable/6/ (UK)
- http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/6/ (Ireland)
- http://ftp.klid.dk/ftp/linuxmint/stable/6/ (Denmark)
- http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/linuxmint/stable/6/ (Greece)
- http://mirror.amarillolinux.com/linuxmint/stable/6/ (USA)
- http://linuxmint.secsup.org/stable/6/ (USA)
- http://linuxmint.sourcemirrors.org/stable/6/ (USA)
Rest of the World:
- http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linuxmint/stable/6/ (Australia)
- ftp://188.8.131.52/LinuxMint/stable/6/ (Vietnam)
Order Linux Mint 6 x64 on CD:
You can order Linux Mint 6 x64 on CD from our partner on-disk.com:
Tell us what you think:
Depending on your hardware x64 Edition could be faster and show better performance than the Main edition. We’re interested to know how both editions compare so don’t hesitate to measure your boot time, and common scenarios and compare them on the same computer with the Main edition.
Changes since x64 RC1:
If you’re currently running Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 you do not need to install the stable release. To get the 64 bit versions of Flash and Java, type the following commands in a terminal:
- apt remove –purge flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper
- apt update
- apt install mint-meta-x64
Also note that mint4win doesn’t work on the RC1 CD and that it does on the stable one.
Have a lot of fun with the x64 Edition and thank you for running Linux Mint.